Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Stars

13 Qawl 163 B.E. – December 5, 2006

Star bright, star light,
First star I see to night,
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.
I wonder how many people learned that as a child. Nursery rhymes are so much fun. Other rhymes stand out in my mind, like stars in the midnight sky. One of the first prayers I learn, when I was a child rhymed.
Now I lay me down to sleep,
I pray the Lord my soul to keep,
If I should die before I wake,
I pray the Lord my soul to take.
OK, so some of the rhymes we (those of us over the age of 50) learned as children probably weren’t age appropriate. I doubt that I would teach that prayer to a child of mine, at least not in that form. I’d probably rewrite it, but it is understandable why parent’s taught prayers like that to children in ages past. It was a different time, parents wanted to protect their children, but they wanted them to understand the fact of life, as well. Prayers and nursery rhymes helped them teach their children that.

To many of us, when we were growing up our parents and grandparents were stars, heroes, people we looked up to and held in high esteem. Our parents tried to do the right thing, they did the best they could with what they knew and when they found out better, then they did better.

My Grandpa Newland was my father figure, my star, my hero. I remember more about my Grandfather than I remember about my Father. Grandpa was the one who took my out of a refrigerator I got in during a game of hide-and-seek. Grandpa Newland was my guardian angel. I always think of Grandpa in that way.

What brought on this bit of nostalgia? It’s December, it’s the month I was born. My birthday is on the 24th. Yes, I was a Christmas Eve baby. Not only that, but I’m looking forward to my birthday this year. The best thing about December is the night sky, the winter stars. I like going outside the city and looking at the stars it seems to take longer to get away from the light pollution now than in the past.

I haven’t decided how I’m going to celebrate. I’ve thought of several ways, but none of them seem to appeal to me. I’m not going to drive outside Las Vegas and look at the stars. At least, not until I get the heater in my car fixed and a new tire, so whatever I do will have to be in the city. I’ll post the way I celebrate my birthday on that day, in the mean time I’ve got to figure out how to celebrate.

No comments: