Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Midweek Reflections on Writing about My Life Experience

'Idal (Justice), 17 Kalimát (Words), 172 BE - Wednesday, July 29, 2015 about 5:24 am Pacific Daylight Time

The July 29, 2015 edition of the writing.com spiritual newsletter ask: "What are your life's experiences and how have they changed or affected your writing?" After contemplating this question I realized that my life experience has affected my poetry. I write all genres of poetry, but the majority of poems are spiritual, bitter love poems, and poetry of the tortured soul.

I have had a rather interesting life. I remember the trauma of my parent's divorce. I remember the verbal and sexual abuse of a stepfather. I remember the joy of being with my grandparents. I remember sitting in the hospital room next to my maternal grandfather the day he died. I remember having two different dreams about the return of Christ. I remember getting pregnant and giving my daughter up for adoption. I remember finding out my father had died when I did an internet search for him. All of these experiences go into my poetry and some of them into my stories.

As I write this entry, I realize that I am a bit nervous. I always get nervous when writing about personal and emotional experiences. This is a good sign because it means that I am dealing with experiences and the emotions in a positive way by writing about them. Used to keep things like this bottle up without either speaking or writing about them. No more! While I may not speak about them, I do write about the experiences and the emotions. It is easier for me to deal with these thing in writing rather then any other way. Writing is a positive response to the emotional issues of my life experiences.

No comments: