Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Tuesday's Topic: Triple Digit Temperatures

Fidal (Grace), 12 ‘Núr (Light), 172 BE - Tuesday, June 16, 2015 about 6:07 pm Pacific Daylight Time

Five days until summer and here, in the Las Vegas valley, we are experiencing triple digit temperatures. Today the predicted high was 108 degrees Fahrenheit, but right now the temperature is 104 degrees with a wind chill factor of 104 degrees. The wind speed is 23 mph, so we are experiencing the blow dryer effect here. On Wednesday, the temperature is supposed to reach 109 degrees.

These high temperatures means I have to change to times I take the trash to the alley. I don't want to get out during the heat of the day, so I will have to have the trash ready to go lug out right after I take my bath in the morning. There are other changes I'll have to make as well. One of them is keeping the cool air on all day. I moved last week, so I'm living in a two bedroom apartment instead of a studio apartment.

In the smaller apartment, I had the temperature sit at 83 degrees, but in this apartment I set it at 78. I like the feel of the cooler air during the heat of the day. I still turn the air off when I go to bed because the unit is right above the loveseat I use for a bed. I can't sleep comfortably with the air blowing on me. Plus there is the noise the unit makes when it's running. I can't sleep all the way through the night as it is; if I leave the cool air running then I wouldn't get any sleep.

In the studio apartment, I turned the unit off when I wasn't working at the computer. I can't do that in this apartment because doing housework in the heat stresses me. At my age I don't need to stress myself anymore the necessary, therefore, I will leave the air one while I'm doing housework. On Thursday, the temperature is supposed to reach 110 with an excessive heat warning. I think I'm prepared, as long as I don't have to leave my apartment or go any further then the alley. I will know on Thursday just how prepared I am.

No comments: