Monday, June 01, 2015

Meditation Monday: Counting My Breath versus Counting my Steps on Monday

Kamal (Perfection), 16 Aẓamat (Grandeur), 172 BE - Monday, June 1, 2015 about 6:39 am Pacific Daylight Time

Inhale,
take a deep breath,
count one
as I exhale.

I sit with my eyes closed listening to Las Vegas. Morning noises pass through my ears and flow across my mind. Each is identifiable and therefore ignored by my morning mind. I get up to make coffee and begin my day.

Walk
count each step to the refrigerator,
remove a cold bottle of water
and then count each step to the coffee maker;
pick up the bottle of medication
sitting beside my favorite coffee cup
remove a table,
swallow it with several sips of water;
it is time to make coffee.

It is more relaxing to count breaths. Counting steps gets me moving and encourages exercise. As I watch the coffee began to brew, I wonder which method of meditation is better on Monday morning. Is it better to sit with my eyes closed counting breaths? Is it better to focus on counting my steps? Is it better to recite my prayers or a scripture verse as I begin my day rather then focusing on counting breaths or steps?

No comments: