Monday, November 01, 2010

Epiphany on All Saints Day

Kamál (Perfection), 17 ‘Ilm (Knowledge), 167 BE – Monday, November 1, 2010 about 10:06 AM Pacific Time

I don’t celebrate All Saints Day, but since today is All Saints Day and I experience an epiphany that’s the title I gave this entry. The epiphany concerned my mother, Alzheimer’s disease, the General Election tomorrow, and my mother medication.

I was supposed to work the polls tomorrow, but today I realized that I can’t find anyone I can trust to give Mom her medications. I have divided her medications into morning, noon, and evening. I place the tablets in pill holders with the appropriate label. Mom has Alzheimer’s disease, so expecting her to remember to take her meds is unreasonable. I am responsible for making sure she takes her meds at the proper time.

I can find people to stay with Mom, but unless it is a professional caregiver, I can’t trust them to give her the meds at the proper time. It would cost more for a professional to come in and stay with Mom then I would make working the polls. Therefore, I can’t work at the polls tomorrow.

Of course, I didn’t tell Mom that was my reason for not working the polls. I give Mom another reason because if I tell her why I’m not working the polls, she will just get angry. There isn’t any use making her angry or upsetting her. Anyway, that was my epiphany on All Saints Day.

1 comment:

The Writers Blog -- Joanne Nakaya said...

I like your comments on epiphany ...I'm sorry your mom has Alz ...but glad she's still there to enjoy All Sants Day with you!