Friday, June 27, 2008

Daily Prayer is a prerequisite to survival

Istiqlál (Independence), 4 Rahmat (Mercy), 165 BE – Friday, June 27, 2008 about 5:36 PM PDT

Daily Prayer is a prerequisite to survival! I learned this the hard way through months of saying prayers on a daily basis and months of not praying daily. Life always went better when I said my prayers regularly. When I became a Baha'i, I learned that Baha'u'llah had revealed daily obligatory prayers.

He reveal three obligatory prayers, but a person is required to only one of them. You can pick the prayer you want to say. The prayer I usually say is the short prayer, which is said sometime between noon and sunset. The short prayer is easy to learn in a short time. It's a beautiful prayer and one of my favorite prayers.

Daily prayer is a prerequisite to survival! It takes faith to live and work with other human beings. It takes faith just to walk out the door everyday, get into a car and drive to work or the store. I don't back out of my driveway before I say a prayer of protection. In fact, I keep a prayer book in my purse at all times, but often I just say or recite a prayer silently as I go through my day.

No comments: