Friday, May 29, 2015

Foodie Friday: Ice Cream and Other Summer Favorites

Istiqlal (Independence), 13 Aẓamat (Grandeur), 172 BE - Friday, May 29, 2015 about 4:23 pm Pacific Daylight Time


"I Scream, You Scream, We All Scream for Ice Cream"
Word and Music by Howard Johnson, Billy Moll, and Robert King

That song was published in 1927 and I was born in 1946. I remember singing the song when I was a child. My grandparents might have had a record or they could have taught it to me as a child. I don't remember when I learned the song because I have sung it all my life. Every time I think of this song or sing it, I think of summer and my grandparents.

This year summer, in the northern hemisphere, begins on Sunday, June 21 at 12:38 pm Eastern Daylight Time (9:38 am Pacific Daylight Time), when the sun reaches its farthest point north of the equator. This is called summer solstice which is derived from the Latin words sol (sun) and sistere (to stand still). It is time for ice cream and watermelon (not necessarily at the same time).

While I am not opposed to putting ice cream on watermelon, I prefer ice cream on pie or in a cone. My favorite pies are rhubarb and cherry. I like them warmed with a scoop of vanilla or French vanilla ice cream on top. I like a cup of hot coffee with my pie ala mode. I also like coffee with my watermelon, but I have been known to drink soda while eating watermelon. Sometime I eat the watermelon without any type of beverage because a beverage with watermelon is unnecessary.

No comments: