Sunday, July 14, 2013

The Glass Lid

Jamál (Beauty), 2 Kalimát (Words), 170 BE – Sunday, July 14, 2013 about 8:40 AM Pacific Daylight Time

I found a glass lid in a cupboard I am cleaning out. The lid was sitting on the shelf not attached to anything. I do not know where the lid originated because I do not remember having a round casserole dish; at least I think the lid goes to a round casserole dish. I looked in the other shelves and did not find anything it would fit.

The problem is what to do with the lid. I know I should throw it away, but what if I find the dish it goes to after I take it to the trash or the recyclable. Logic tells me that I probably will not find the dish because I suspect Mom put the lid in that cupboard before the Alzheimer’s stole her memory. She could have broken the dish and simply put the lid in the shelf in case she needed it for something else.

Putting things away that one might need later, is something both my mother and my grandmother did. It had nothing to do with Alzheimer’s or any other form of dementia. It was a action left over from growing up on a farm or during the depression. One simply did not throw things away. It is something my parents taught me as a child. It is something I have to get over because keeping things like that is becoming stressful.

I have to take a deep breath and put the lid in the glass recyclables. I have not other choice, but the questions still lingers. What if need the lid for something or I find the dish it fits? I have to ignore the question and put the lid in the recyclables. I think once I do that then the stress will depart and I can throw other things away.

No comments: