Tuesday, April 20, 2010

My mother has Alzheimer’s disease

Fidál (Grace), 12 Jalál (Glory), 167 BE – Tuesday, April 20, 2010 about 7:02 AM Pacific Time

My mother has Alzheimer's disease, mornings and cloudy days are more difficult for her. She takes meds for the Alzheimer's, but the meds can only do so much. Mom doesn't realize she has Alzheimer's, which may or may not be a blessing for her.

At present, Mom is worried about her eyesight. She had cataract surgery a couple of weeks ago and the doctor told us she could get glasses in thirty days. Mom broke her old glasses a few weeks before the surgery and she is worried she won't get glasses before her sight is lost. Actually, Mom is convinced she won't get glasses because of the short-term memory and other symptoms of Alzheimer's.

Alzheimer's is a devastating disease, which affects both the person suffering from it and the family caring for patient. I can still care for Mom, therefore she can stay in her own home; I know eventually I will have to find a place that specializes in Alzheimer's for, however, that is in the future. At this point, I need to focus on caring for Mom and myself. Please remember us in your prayers.

No comments: