Saturday, September 19, 2009

My Grandmother liked the heels of bread

Jalál (Glory), 12 ‘Izzat (Might), 166 BE – Saturday, September 19, 2009 about 8:26 AM Pacific Time

My grandmother liked to eat the heels of the bread, so when we opened a new loaf we would pick begin with the slice behind the heel and live the end piece (the heel) for Grandma to eat. We did it this way and this is a habit I still practice, which explains why I find bread packages in the fridge with just the heels and nothing else.

I opened a new loaf of bread yesterday. I took the second slice of bread without thinking about what I was doing. This morning I took two more slices of bread and noticed what I was doing. As usual, I went past the heel and took the next slice. I stopped, took the end slice and made a peanut butter sandwich.

This incident started me thinking. There are many things I do without thinking because that's the way I've always did them. It's difficult to break old habits, however, there is no reason to continue doing something because that's the way I've always did it or that's the way I learned to do it as a child. The process of transformation requires change.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I also take the slice behind the heel, because the heel keeps the slice behind it nice and soft. And I also like the heels, chewed as they are or toasted with cheese melted on top. So here's another lesson from the breadbox: "Say, all things are of God." Everything and everyone has a particular value and individuality. When we see what it is, we can make the most of it.