Tuesday, April 22, 2008

My Grandmother's Cat

Fidál (Grace), 14 Jalal (Glory), 165 B.E. – Tuesday, April 22, 2008 about 2:40 PM PDT

My grandmother had a Siamese cat called Jay. She acquired the cat because someone had abandoned him on Lake Blackwell. All spring and summer, she fed the cat, then when fall came she got the cat into the car and took him to Blackwell with her.

My grandparents raised chickens; they kept the chickens in a fenced enclosure in the backyard. When Jay arraive at my grandparents' house, the first think he did was go to the chicken house and find a nest to curl up in. From then on he either slept in the house with my grandparents or in the chicken house with the chickens.

The chickens, once they got used to Jay being around, didn't seem to mind him sleeping in a nest. In fact, as along a Jay lived no eggs were lost to any cat. One of the neighbors had a cat that stole eggs, but that cat never came around after Jay arrived. It's too bad that people can't get along as well as Jay got along with my grandmother's chickens. I always thought it was interesting that Jay and the chickens go along better with each other then humans get along.

Jay also go along with grandma's parakeet. The bird, I think his name was Ricky, stayed in his cage and sang most of the time. Jay would lie on top of the Victorla and watch Pete sing. Sometimes Pete got out of the cage; when he did Jay would not attempt to chase him. The bird would fly around the room and Jay would sit on the floor and watch the bird.

I hadn't thought about Jay, the chickens or Ricky in a long time. I'm not sure what brought them to mind today, except I've been missing my grandparents this month. I seem to go through a phase like this every so often. I miss grandma and grandpa, when I do I think about things I haven't thought about in a long time.

No comments: