Monday, April 28, 2008

I ate a pear today

Kamál (Perfection), 1 Jamál (Beauty), 165 B.E. – Monday, April 28, 2008 about 6:41 PM PDT

I ate a pear today.
My brother brought three of them over Friday night.
Three unripe Bartle pears.
Mom put them in a brown paper bag,
on Saturday night or Sunday morning,
so they would ripen.
Today they were ripe so we each had a pear tonight.

My grandmother always put unripened fruit in brown paper bags. I'm not sure what it is about brown paper bags that causes fruit to ripen, but it works. Of course, you have to be careful with bananas or they get too ripe. Bananas grandma always just left out on the counter until they were ready to eat, but other unripe fruits she put in brown paper bags.

I enjoy pears.
When I eat a pear it always brings back memories
of my childhood.

I remember grandma going shopping for fruit. She always bought fresh fruit for us to eat. The only time I remember her buying canned fruit was when she made gelatin deserts or fruit salad. Grandma always made fruit salad with canned fruit. Grandma would mix the canned fruit together then add coconut, nuts and tiny marshmallows. Usually she used mixed fruit, but sometimes she would fruit that wasn't mixed and make the salad that way.

I’ll have to see if I can find or remember grandma’s recipe for fruit salad. I make fruit salad myself, but not the way she made it. I buy mixed tropical fruit to put in my salad rather then the regular mixed fruit.

No comments: