Friday, September 16, 2016

Form Friday: Vahid

Istiqlál (Independence), 10 ‘Izzat (Might), 173 BE - Friday, September 16, 2016 AD about 12:39 PM Pacific Daylight Time  

I am thinking about a specific poetry form today called a Vahid. This is how I described the form when I wrote a poem yesterday using this description. "Vahid - means unity; it is composed of 1 or more stanzas with each stanza containing a total of 19 syllables, but without a specific stanza line count. There is no rhyme scheme required; however, the poem must focus on a specific theme or subject which usually makes up part of the title. It isn't required that the subject or theme be mentioned in the poem itself."  

I was describing the form from memory because I could not find any description not even a rudimentary one. Since I cannot find a proper description and I cannot claim the form as my own, I will just have to work with what I remember about it. I am changing the description slightly because I do not think that is a good description of the form. I wish I could remember where I ran across it; however, since I can only remember the form I will rewrite the description.  

Vahid, meaning unity, is composed of one or more stanzas with nineteen syllable each. The number of lines in each stanza is left up to the discretion of the poet. There is no required rhyme scheme, which allows the poet to use any rhyme at his or her sees fit. The poem must focus on a specific theme or subject, which usually makes up part of the title, but it does not require that the subject or theme be mentioned in the poem itself.   

No comments: