Wednesday, June 08, 2016

Midweek Reflections on Excessive Heat Warnings

'Idal (Justice), 5 Núr (Light), 173 BE - Wednesday, June 8, 2016 about 3:19 {M Pacific Daylight Time 

It's that time of year again when temperatures rise into the triple digits and the national weather bureau issues Excessive Heat Warnings for the Las Vegas valley. This means that you need to make sure your pets have plenty of water and shade. In addition, you need to provide a fan for your outdoor dogs to keep them cool. Yes, I wrote a fan. I heard on  the news last night that there is a law that states you have to provide a fan for  your dogs if they stay outside. 

I think this is a good idea. I know when I had a dog she was stressed if she was left outside during the day. Of course, I always brought her into the house during the day. It's always cooler for dogs in a house with air conditioning. I owned a Springer Spaniel, so every year at the end of March or the beginning of April I would take her to the groomer (which was in the vets office) to have her shaved. She didn't seem to mind losing all her winter hair at once. It helped her stay cooler and it cut down on how much hair she shed. 
 

No comments: