Monday, October 15, 2007

A World Citizen and the Environment

19 Mashiyyat 164 B.E. - Monday, October 15, 2007 about 4:35 PM PDT

I consider myself a world citizen and as a citizen of Earth, I have a duty toward the planet of my birth. As a world citizen I ask myself "What can I do to help the environment?" The answer isn't an easy one especially since my financial resources are limited and there for limit my options in making my home environmentally friendly. There are some things that I can do immediately such as recycling. I'm not just talking about taking the recyclable containers out to the curb every other Saturday for the trash trucks to pick up. There are other things I can do to help the environment.

  1. I can carry a trash bag in my car and put any trash I have in it, instead of throwing it into the street. This helps the environment by preventing the storm drains from becoming clogged and causing the street to flood when it rains.
  2. I can pick up any aluminum cans I see on the street and put them in my trunk. This helps in two ways (1) by getting the trash off the street and (2) I can put the aluminum can with others and sell it for gas money or money to donate to charity.
  3. I can join groups like FreeCycle and offer stuff I don't use, but is still good to others who can use it.
  4. Instead of throwing worn cloths away immediately, I can use them as cleaning rags. This not only saves me money, but it gives more then one use to the item of clothing. I remember my grandmother taking worn out underwear, washing it and then using it to clean the toilet stool and shower before throwing it out (after she let it dry of course).
  5. I can either ask for paper when I go to the grocery store or I can recycle the plastic grocery bags by giving them to churches and charities that collect and give food to seniors on fixed incomes or the homeless.
  6. I can clean out my cupboards and donate any dishes that I don't use, but are still in good condition to charities that fix hot meals to the homeless.
  7. I can make my landscape fit the ecosystem I live in. Las Vegas is a desert so I can use desert landscaping in my yard.
  8. I can make sure that the technological equipment I buy is environmentally friendly because it uses less electricity.
  9. I can dispose of any technological equipment that no longer works by taking it someplace that recycles or disposes of the parts safely. At this point the only piece of technological equipment I have that doesn't work is my mouse. My computer mouse finally died and now I have to find a way of disposing of it in a way that's safe for the environment.

No comments: