Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Three Birthdays

5 Izzat 163 B.E. – September 12, 2006

I have three birthdays coming up, one each in October, November, and December. October 31 is my writing.com birthday; the day I created my free writing.com account, since then I have upgraded to a paid membership. November 23 is my Baha’i birthday, the day I officially declared my belief in Baha’u’llah. December 24 is the day I was born.

Each of these three days has had an effect upon my self-image, on the person I am today and on my spiritual path. Each has redirected my path through life and caused me to ask hard questions about my belief system and myself. As I write this entry, I think about my past and my future. There are certain things that I have no doubt about. Most of the events in my life, that I am absolutely certain about occurred in the past. Some of those events I would like to forget, but cannot. Therefore, I have learned to deal with them and continue down life’s highway.

Being a member of writing.com has given me confidence in my own abilities as a poet. It has given me the courage to explore other forms of writing besides poetry. As a member of writing.com, I can post my stories, poems and articles on the website and receive feedback from other writers who read and review my work. Those who review it give suggestions on how it may be improved.

Being a Baha’i has changed my entire worldview. I see religion, God, humanity, and the world itself in an entirely different light than I did before I Declared my Faith in Baha’u’llah. I see humanity as “the leaves of one tree”, I see the different religions as chapters in a single holy book and I see the founder’s of religions as all revealing the attributes of God. For me “Earth is on country and mankind its citizens”.

No comments: