Friday, January 13, 2006

Paraskevidekatriaphobia

14 Sharaf 162 B.E. - January 12 - 13, 2006 A.D.

NOTE: Today is one of two Friday the 13ths in 2006. Traditionally Friday the 13th is considered bad luck. I have used this subject as posts in some of the groups I usually post items to, so I am posting all of those in this piece today. If you click on the title of this entry it will take you to another article about Friday the 13th.

Fridays Are

Fridays are Istiqlal (Independence).

Friday’s Prayer

Beloved,
Make me independent of all things save You.
Brining into my life today the beauty of Your love.
Protect me from negative thoughts that draw negative results.

Fridays are the days people tend to be in a better mood.

Fear of Friday the 13th is Paraskevidekatriaphobia. It does not mean bad things. Interesting information about why Friday the 13th is unlucky. (1) Friday was the day Christ was Crucified, (2) There were 13 people at the Last Supper, and (3) every news program on T.V. today has an article about Friday the 13th. Website for Friday the 13th information http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/historical/a/friday_the_13th.htm.

What’s On Your Mind Jan. 13, 2006

What’s on my mind today is Friday the 13th, Paraskevidekatriaphobia is fear of Friday the 13th. There are two reasons I’m thinking about this subject: (1) it is Friday the 13th and (2) on the news this morning they were discussing the word Paraskevidekatriaphobia. The upshot of the discussion was that they weren’t afraid of Friday the 13th itself, but the word was a different story. The question ask was: “Is there a word for the fear of the word Paraskevidekatriaphobia?

I found the following website with an interesting article on Friday the 13th http://urbanlegends.about.com/cs/historical/a/friday_the_13th.htm.

For those who have Paraskevidekatriaphobia 2006 has two Friday the 13ths.

Now that I’ve gotten that over with, let me go on. My take on this is simply that Friday the 13th isn’t any unluckier or luckier than any other day of the year. If one is afraid of that day, then I would suggest calling into work well or sick or whatever depending on the sense of humor of your boss. I drive in Las Vegas almost every day and the traffic here is interesting to say the least. We get the worst and the best drivers from all over the country and the world. When I get in the car to drive I will not do any different from any other day I drive. After I get into the car I will say a prayer of protection before getting onto the city’s streets.

Paraskevidekatriaphobia

Paraskevidekatriaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th. I suppose if you are going to have a word for this fear that is as good or better than any. If one isn’t afraid of Friday the 13th itself, the word Paraskevidekatriaphobia will give one fear of the word. Is there a word for fear of a word? (Please note that isn’t my own question, it was asked on the 5 a.m. news when they were discussing the word Paraskevidekatriaphobia.)

Anyway this has gotten me to thinking about superstitions. If you look in a thesaurus for words to replace superstition two of the words you find is false notion (OK, this is two words, but you get the idea) and fallacy. I have found, in my own life, that superstition sometimes results from negative thinking. If you expect something bad to happen something bad happens.

For those who do have Paraskevidekatriaphobia, then consider this. 13 is the numbers 1 and 3. The root number of 13 is 4 the numbers 1 + 3 = 4. So if 13 is unlucky then why isn’t its components and its root number considered unlucky?

Root Number: There are 9 root numbers and those are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, and 9. Any group of numbers added together will result in one of those 9 numbers.

No, I am not a mathematician; I simply have a reservoir of unusual and intriguing knowledge that will do me good only on a game show or in a novel.

No comments: