Sunday, January 01, 2006

First Day of 2006

2 Sharaf 162 B.E. - December 31, 2005 A.D. - January 1, 2006 A.D.

For much of the world today is a new beginning, but not for everyone. January 1 is not the new year's day I celebrate; I celebrate Naw-Ruz which falls in March. Naw-Ruz is the first day of spring when the sun passes the vernal equinox. Naw-Ruz is the day Baha'u'llah confirmed as the first day of year, so Naw-Ruz is the day I celebrate as the New Year.

I did not stay up late last night, instead I went to bed at about my normal time. My normal bed time is somewhere between 9:00 p.m. and 1:00 a.m. Last night I went to bed at about 10:00 p.m. Just because I do not celebrate January 1 as New Years day does not mean that there are certain customs from my childhood that I do not commemorate. One January 1 custom I always remember is eating Black-Eyed Peas. I eat Black-Eyed Peas in memory of my Grandmother. My Grandma Newland always made Black-Eyed Peas on January 1 so today I will open a can of Black-Eyed Peas and have them with my hamburger or whatever else I decide to have for lunch.

When my Grandma made Black-Eyed Peas she did one of two things. She either made Black-Eyed Peas from scratch or opened a can. When Grandma made Black-Eyed Peas from scratch she got the dry peas about two or three days before and put them to soak on December 31. After the peas had soaked over night and the next morning she began cooking them with a slice of bacon and salt and pepper.

No comments: