Friday, October 21, 2005

Intriguing Words

6 'Ilm 162 B.E. October 20-21, 2005 A.D.

I subscribe to two daily newsletters that send me a new word each day. One of them is Doctor Dictionary and it comes from dictionary.com. The other is Wordsmiths and its e-mail address is linuaphile@wordsmith.org. Each of these newsletters sends me a new word along with the meaning of the word. The wordsmith’s newsletter usually gives a bit of history or interesting facts about the word. Both newsletters give quotes in which the word us used and the pronunciation of the word. I usually save them until I can use the word in a story, poem, or essay.

I have gotten some intriguing words from each newsletter. Following are some words from each of the newsletters. (1) Pelf, which has to do with money and suggest the concept of ill gotten. This was one of the doctor Dictionary words. (2) Heterography, derived from a Greek word, this word, refers to word spelled different from the modern spelling or a letter that suggest a different sound. This was one of the Wordsmith words.

I haven’t yet found a place to use some of the words. Some of them I can use in the novel I’m writing in November. I can use some words in description of characters and setting. I can use some for describing or naming the career of minor or main characters. I may try using some of the words in the names of characters. A few of the words would be good to give as names of minor characters, especially if I don’t want to go into a detailed description but want the reader to get information about the characteristics of the character.

No comments: