Saturday, October 24, 2015

Saturday Summary: Seven Days Left in October

Jalal (Glory), 9 ‘Ilm (Knowledge), 172 BE - Saturday, October 24, 2015 about 1:55 PM Pacific Daylight Time

There are seven days left in October. Seven days until Daylight Savings Time ends. Seven days to deal with the rest of October's weirdness. This year October has been a bit weirder then previous years, but I'm not sure why. I've had difficulty focusing on writing poetry this month. Normally I have no problem coming up with a theme and subject. In the past, I've had no problems following the specific form of a poem so that the rhythm flows properly.

This month I attempted to write an English sonnet. I got the syllable count and the rhyme scheme down fine. I stumbled over the rhythm, so now I have to rewrite the poem to get the rhythm right. The problem is whenever I start to rewrite, I stare at the screen or the page wondering how to change the poem to fit the rhythm. I suppose I could just give up and write another poem using the same subject and theme. However, that doesn't seem right. I can't give up the idea that this poem, with a bit more work, can become a perfect English sonnet. I wonder if William Shakespeare encountered this problem when he was writing English sonnets.

No comments: