Wednesday, September 09, 2015

Midweek Reflections on Watermelons, Growing Plants and Cleaning Out the Refrigerator

'Idal (Justice), 2 ‘Izzat (Might), 172 BE - Wednesday, September 9, 2015 about 4:16 pm Pacific Daylight Time

As a child, my grandfather grew his own watermelon. He would pick them off the vine, take them into the house, and put them in the refrigerator. I do not grow my own watermelon for two reasons. First, I live in an apartment so I do not have anyplace to grow the watermelon. Second, unlike my grandmother and grandfather, I do not have a green thumb. My grandparents could grow anything, I am lucky if I can grow a cactus without killing it. All right, maybe that is too strong a word.

The point is that no matter how hard I try plants do not grow for me. Someone can give me a plant and it dies. I can water it, according to the directions, it still dies. I can put it in a place where it gets the proper amount of sun and one morning I will go to the plant and find it dead. I cannot grow plants. I do not have a green thumb. Which is why I purchase all my fresh vegetables and fruit.

Anyway, to get back to the watermelon. I have a watermelon to put in the refrigerator. I do not have room in the refrigerator. Just so you know, I was given the watermelon today. This means that I have to clean out the refrigerator and I am not looking forward to it. I started cleaning it out this afternoon.

I had three or four pieces of cooked chicken, so I put that in the stew pot with some water. After the chicken was heated then I took the chicken out and put some vegetables in the the water. Those are cooking now. When that gets done, I will either eat vegetable stew or take the chicken off the bone and have chicken stew. Anyway, with the vegetables and chicken out of the refrigerator I think I have room in the bottom shelf for the watermelon. That will be either my supper tonight (if I am hunger) or my lunch tomorrow.

No comments: