Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Midweek Reflictions on Autumn

‘Idál (Justice), 11 ‘Izzat (Might), 170 BE - Wednesday, September 18, 2013 about 11:35 AM Pacific Daylight Time

The Autumnal Equinox occurs on Saturday, September 22, 2013 at 4:44 PM Eastern Daylight Time, which is 1:44 PM Pacific Daylight Time. According to The Old Farmer's Almanac, this is the time the sun crosses the celestial equator. Equinox is a Latin word meaning "equal night".

Autumnal Equinox
brings cooler days and memories
of my childhood.

When I was a child, I always looked forward to the first day of fall. The days became cooler and we began harvesting Grandpa's garden. This mean digging potatoes and picking all sorts of homegrown vegetables. Grandma would can the vegetables and Grandpa would put the potatoes in the root cellar or storm cellar.

Digging potaotoes
anticipating a crunchy reward
childhood memories.

Once the potatoes were all dug, Grandpa would cut one or two so that we could eat a raw potato with salt and pepper. I can still remember the way the potato crunched when I chewed it and how it tasted in my mouth. I probably was not crazy about digging the potatoes, but now those memories are precious because of the time spent with my Grandparents.




No comments: