Thursday, November 15, 2012

Hand-me-ups a new phenomenon in my household

Istijlál (Majesty), 12 Qudrat (Power), 169 BE – Thursday, November 15, 2012 about 1:05 P.M. Pacific Time

I am the oldest of four children. I have one sister and two brothers, so I understand the concept of hand-me-downs. When I grew out of my clothes, they passed to my sister. When the older of my two brothers out grew his clothes, they passed down to my youngest brother.

Since the doctor diagnosed my mother with Alzheimer’s disease, I have experienced a new phenomenon, which I call hand-me-ups. My mother forgets that she has eaten and thus thinks she has not eaten. As a result, she began gaining weight, which was all right at first because my mother’s weight went down to 95 pounds. My mother has outgrown her clothes, so now I am giving her some of mine. Instead of handing the clothes down to a sibling, I am handing the up to my mother; therefore, I call them hand-me-ups.

No comments: