Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Blessing of Baha’u’llah

12 Jamal 164 B.E. – Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Sometimes we go through life not counting our blessing or being thankful. Therefore, today I think I’ll recount some of the blessing Baha’u’llah has showered on me. I’m not sure how many I’ll have listed at the end of this post, but I do know that how-ever many it is, it won’t be complete. It won’t be complete because the blessings showered upon me by Baha’u’llah are unending.

In one of the revealed prayers Baha’u’llah refers to tests as “a healing medicine”. Life is full of tests and difficulties; they come to us in various ways and at different times. An event that may be mundane to one individual could be a test for another. The intention of tests and difficulties is to strengthen faith and polish the soul’s mirror. That’s why tests and difficulties are blessings because without them the soul wouldn’t develop wings of ascent to fly in the next world.

The prayers revealed by Baha’u’llah are blessings. Unlike the prayers that an individual says, writes, or composes spontaneously. The prayers Baha’u’llah revealed help the individual focus on achieving the reason the soul was created and the Divine Essence. We can’t know God directly, but the purpose of the individual is to know and love God. The only way a human being can know God is through the Mirror of the Divine Essence. Baha’u’llah is the Mirror of God for this age. Therefore, when we read or recite a prayer revealed by Baha’u’llah, we are reading and reciting a prayer revealed by the Divine Essence through Baha’u’llah.

Another blessing of the prayers revealed by Baha’u’llah is that they ignite the individual’s soul. They bring joy and happiness. They awaken a person to the reality of the Divine Essence. They inspire and cause the individual to look toward God rather than self. I know when I read or recite one of the prayers my entire attitude changes. My day is brightened and I’m encouraged to achieve the goals I set for myself.

When I go to set goals I don’t set them without saying, at least, one prayer. Prayer focuses the soul and mind on the attributes of God. Prayer helps me to concentrate on what I’m doing rather than worrying about what’s not done or what I may not get done. This is another of the blessing of Baha’u’llah.

Baha’u’llah has given so many blessings that it is difficult to list them all. Indeed, I don’t think I could list all the blessing here because I keep discovering new blessings everyday. One of the blessing, for me, is the ability to compose poems and stories. Creativity is a blessing; it helps me to discover new things about myself and about the world around me. Without it my life would be boring. Without Baha’u’llah I would never have discovered the three onenesses and the unity of the human race.

However, the greatest blessing is my life is the knowledge of Baha’u’llah. Just knowing that God has sent another messenger, mirror, prophet and manifestation gives me the courage to go on each day, place my problems in the hands of Baha’u’llah (which is like placing my problems in God’s hands) and go on without worry.

One of my favorite prayers revealed by Baha’u’llah is the Long Healing Prayer.

No comments: