Wednesday, November 29, 2006

One

7 Qawl 163 B.E. - November 29, 2006

I love to look at pictures of Earth taken from outer space. Not only are they beautiful, but the reveal the planet in a way our ancestors never saw it. When you look at a picture of the planet, you see only the natural barriers that our ancestors had to cross, to conquer, as some would say, in their migrations.

The pictures of Earth taken from orbit don’t reveal the barrier of nation and country that humanity itself has created. The pictures of Earth taken by orbiting astronauts show Earth as a single homeland to the human race; as “one country” if you will. I like to meditate on the pictures of Earth floating in space. It helps me see myself as a citizen of the planet and visualize humanity as a single species, as one race.

Every time I look at a picture of the planet Earth I think of one of my favorite quotes by Baha’u’llah: “…Ye are the fruits of one tree, and the leaves of one branch….” from Gleanings from the Writings of Baha'u'llah, p. 288. There are other quotes concerning the oneness of humanity and of the planet, but that is my favorite.

Sometimes the world situation seems so hopeless, but when I read the writing of Baha’u’llah I find hope. When I can find hope for myself then I can share it with others. If I am worrying or depressed about something I find myself feeling hopeless and unhappy, but when I read the scriptures and prayers revealed by Baha’u’llah my attitude changes. Once my attitude changes then I can give everyone a smile and speak to them with joy and happiness in my voice.

There is a great deal I don’t have and can’t do, but when I read the writing of Baha’u’llah the things I don’t have or can’t don’t matter any more. Keeping focused on the Baha’u’llah helps me achieve the goals I can achieve. If I don’t have a focus I look at my short comings and am disappointed, but I’m never disappointed with Baha’u’llah. The meaning of Baha’u’llah is the Glory of God. This is my one hope, my one joy, my one happiness.

No comments: