Monday, October 17, 2016

Monday Question: Are you afraid of Clowns?

Kamál (Perfection), 3 ‘Ilm (Knowledge), 173 BE - Monday, October 17, 2016 AD about 4:24 PM Pacific Daylight Time 

All the stories in the news about creepy and scary clowns got me to wondering about phobias. I wanted to know what fear of clowns was called. First, let me define phobia. A phobia is classified as an anxiety disorder which is a persistent, overwhelming, and irrational fear of something. A person can have or develop a phobia against almost anything. 

The fear of clowns is called coulrophobia. I can tell you, from my experience with arachnophobia (fear of spiders), that have a phobia of any type is no laughing matter. The thing that frightens me about these clown sightings is that they may generate coulrophobia in people who have never been afraid of clowns or dealt with a phobia of any type. A phobia can be devastating and life altering if it is not dealt with in an appropriate manner. 

No comments: