Wednesday, February 03, 2016

Midweek Reflections on Positive Thinking and Depression

'Idal (Justice), 16 Sulṭán (Sovereignty), 172 BE - Wednesday, February 3, 2016 about 9:39 AM Pacific Standard Time


Sometimes blue Monday
hides the joy of a new week
with despair's dark clouds.

I don't mind starting a new workweek in a brown study looking at the dark clouds hiding the sun because I know that on Tuesday or Wednesday I will again be in the sun. I know that something will happen, usually half way through Monday or early Tuesday morning to brighten my outlook and bring back my positive mood. I can always find something to brighten my mood and chase away the negatives. Sometimes it's just knowing that darkness or clouds don't last forever and that sun the sun will come shining through changing my sadness to joy.

Wednesday morning blues
Usually sneaks up on me:
A shadow across the sun.

Wednesday blues can be more difficult to deal with because I'm at the top of the week's mountain. On the mountain top the sun is shining down while below me is spread the valleys of past and future. Behind me the Valley of the past is uncovered by clouds, but in front of me the Valley of the Future is hidden beneath a layer of dark clouds that let beams of light penetrate them to reveal small sections of the landscape.

It's the sections of the landscape I can't see
that depresses me.

I try to think positive, but positive thinking doesn't always scatter depression. This used to worry me; however, at 69 I've come to realize that positive thinking isn't facing reality. Life is full of ups and downs, of dark clouds and sunshine. In nature dark clouds usually foretell rain which is necessary to help crops grow. Crops need sunshine as well because if it rained all the time then it would wash out the crops and nothing would grow.

In order to grow
the human soul
need both joy and sorrow.

It's Wednesday. I'm dealing with Wednesday depression therefore I place the day in God's hands knowing that everything will work out according to Divine will. I do the same thing when I encounter the Monday blues. Everything always works out according to God's will. Each day I have to move forward into the darkness and the clouds knowing that eventually the sun will shine. This is a positive thought because I am looking for the sunlight rather then looking at the clouds or the darkness.

No comments: