Thursday, August 27, 2015

Thoughtful Thursday: I Don't Want to be Sixteen Again

stijlal (Majesty), 8 Asmá’ (Names), 172 BE - Thursday, August 27, 2015 about 1:07 pm Pacific Daylight Time


Prompt: Tell us about the person you were when you were sixteen.

Stressed! Depressed! I wouldn't be sixteen again for any amount of money. I didn't like being sixteen because of the bullies and the gossip. I remember struggling and being made fun of by my class mate in junior high and high school. I was stood up by a date and I have to face the snickers when I went back to school the next day. Eventually we moved from one town to another, but I don't think school got any better.

I've heard people tell about how wonderful being sixteen was and maybe it was for them, but it wasn't for me. At 68, I can look back on my sixteen year old self and say "Thank God I survived!" I learned that people aren't always what they appear to be. I learned that just because someone acts like your friend doesn't mean they are. I learned that you can't let other peoples opinions define who you are. Eventually I learned to forgive and bury the past, at least until I use it in a short story or poem.

I don't want to be sixteen again,
I don't want to have those types of friends.

That is a good start to a poem. I don't know where it's going at the moment. I may not finish it today or even this week. I will finish it.

No comments: