Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Reading Somebody Else’s Journal

13 Kalimat 163 B.E. – July 25, 2006 A.D.

There is a Follow the Leader Journaling contest on writing.com. I was in the first one, but haven’t enter it since. A new session of the contest started on Monday, July 24, and it will end on Sunday, August 13. The idea of the contest is simple, one person makes a leading journal entry then everyone else in the contest responds to the entry. I looked into the contest today.

The title of the first leading entry oddly enough, as I was reading the entry I realized that while I don’t know what the person looks like, I do know the person. Some many times we base likes and dislikes of their people on what we see. We choose to like or dislike a person because of a judgment we make by sight, by visual clues. In this case, I can’t because I’ve never met writer of oddly enough in person and I’ve never seen a picture. The only contact I have with the author of this specific leading entry is through what the person writes. I like this person because I’ve read journal or rather blog entries and I find the person’s thoughts intriguing.

The internet has changed so much about the way we interact socially. We meet someone on a website and get to know them through what is written in a blog. We base our likes and dislikes not on visual clues, but on the written word. We learn thing about people we have never met, people we may never meet in person, in the real world, without ever seeing them. True there are photos on blogs, but those photo are often a person’s best and usually posed. I like learning about others by reading their writings, by reading their blogs. I can read their thoughts, I can read their opinions, I can learn about them without the distraction of physical appearance. When you read someone else’s blog you get a look into that person’s soul oddly enough.

No comments: