Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Memories of My Grandparents and Moving Furniture

5 Kalimat 164 B.E. – Tuesday, July 17, 2007

It’s been an interesting few days. I’ve written a poem and a flash fiction piece everyday. I moved the furniture, this was for two reasons; first, to clean out from under the couches, second, to find change. Thinking back to the way my Grandmother did her housework. She moved the couch and chairs about once a month to clean under them. Actually, she had my Grandfather move them. I’m not as fortune to have a man around the house to do that stuff, so I do it myself; which explains why I don’t move the furniture once a month. I did discover that the couch makes into a bed, I didn’t know this before. I still have to move the couch in the breakfast room back against the wall, but I’ll do that probably Saturday. It’s not like its in anybody’s way. I just don’t want to move it back before mopping behind it.

I have to get down on my hands and knees to mop the floor. I have a sponge mop, but all it does is move the dirt around. I can sweep, then use a dust mop on the floor, then sponge mop and all I get from the sponge mop is streaked tiles and dirt in a different place. I can’t stand sponge mops. OK, now that I’ve got the “sponge mop rant” out of my system, at least temporarily, I can get on to other business. I’ve did the “sponge mop rant” in all my blogs lately and to one of the journaling groups. Come to think of it, “The Sponge Mop Rant” sounds like a good name for a poem, essay or story. I’ll have to try the theme in a piece of fiction.

As I said before, it’s been an interesting three days all though thinking back I might want to put an interesting three weeks or month. Anyway, I was writing about moving furniture, I found exactly $0.32 as results of moving two couches and a love seat. It’s a good thing they’re not heavy. The truth is, I found moving them quite invigorating. OK, maybe I’m becoming domestic in my old age, I never found moving furniture fun or invigorating before the age of 60, now it’s both.

Baha’u’llah and ‘Abdu’l-Baha are probably both either frowning or smiling at me right now. Especially when it comes to moving the furniture bit. I’ve never been one to move furniture. Normally if the furniture works where it is, I don’t move it even to clean under it. The method of cleaning under the furniture I used to use was to take a broom and sweep under as far as I could go, but I think I’m going to be moving it more often now. Go to the once a month routine. I’ll have to think about the once a month thing for a couple of days or so before I decide one way or the other. My back doesn’t feel worse, in fact it feels better than it did before. My knee feels better than it did before, but I’m not sure that has anything to do with moving furniture.

No comments: