Friday, July 13, 2007

Feast of Words

1 Kalimat 164 B.E. – Friday, July 13, 2007

I went to feast at the Baha’i Center in Las Vegas last night. The Feast was marvels, wonderful, spiritual. There aren’t enough words in any language to express how the feast feels. Feast is divided into three portions (1) the spiritual portion, (2) the business portion, and (3) the social portion. During the social portion, one of the items served was Osh (I think that’s how you spell the soup).

I got an idea for a poem called the Feast of Words. I’m not sure exactly how I’m going to approach this poem yet. I do have an idea for a line or rather a part of a line.

Phrase by phrase we consume …

This poem will use food words and phrases to describe the nineteen-day feast, but that’s all I’m sure of right now. I’m going to have to pray and meditate on the writings about feast. For me partaking of feast is like partaking of the Lords Supper. I want to get this feeling into the poem.

Writing poems isn’t easy. It’s not like you can just transcribe the poem and then forget about it. Writing a good poem require rewrites and rewrites. Writing a good poem requires planning, sometimes planning isn’t a conscious process on the part of the poet, but the planning is there nonetheless. This poem is going to require conscious planning and a lot of rewriting before it emerges complete.

No comments: