Saturday, June 02, 2007

Modern Technology

17 ‘Azamat 164 B.E. – Saturday, June 02, 2007

Modern technology is absolutely wonderful when it works. When it doesn’t work it can be a pain and make normal everyday chores difficult. My garbage disposal isn’t working, since it isn’t working I can use the dishwasher. Well, I can use the dishwasher if I want to bail it out. That’s what I had to do on Monday or maybe it was Tuesday.

On Thursday, the garbage the plumber came to fix the disposal. Put in a new disposal and I still don’t have a working garbage disposal. The problem it turns out is a switch under the sink that automatically turns the disposal on and off. Anyway, until the switch is fixed I can’t use the dishwasher without having to bail it out, which I have no desire to do. I’m back to doing dishes by hand, which wouldn’t be a problem if I had a real dishpan. I don’t have a dishpan, so I’m using an extra-large Tupperware container. It works but it doesn’t fit in the sink. So I have it sitting on the side board and the thingy that I put the dishes in to drain in the sink.

I wrote an article a few days ago about How to be thankful in adversity. This is definitely adversity. Therefore, what am I thankful for? Let me count the things (1) the Tupperware container, and (2) antibacterial dishwashing liquid. OK, so this isn’t what most people would consider adversity. A few years ago, I wouldn’t have considered it that either, but birthdays and time changes many things in our lives and creates new definitions for our tests and difficulties.

I’m not going to complain. Doing dishes by hand can be an interesting change in routine, can make life less boring. All though, I don’t think I’ve ever found life boring. There are small segments that appear boring, but in retrospect, they are just rest pits between the tests, difficulties, and adversities that are normal parts of living. Every individual has different events they consider as tests, difficulties and adversities. It doesn’t do any good to complain about them, it just makes them worse.

I think that’s one reason we’re supposed to be “thankful in adversity”. If we’re thankful, we’re not complaining, not focusing on the problems. If we’re thankful, we’re focusing on the solutions. We can find solutions easier if we give praise and gratitude to God or to one of his Manifestations. Doing dishes by hand gives us a chance to meditate on the scriptures or prayers we know by heart.

I’ll probably have the switch under the sink fixed next week. Then I’ll go back to using the dishwasher. I’ll be more thankful for the dishwasher. Doing dishes by hand also makes you thankful when technological items work properly as well. I haven’t made a gratitude journal entry this week, so I think I’ll a thankful or perhaps a grateful Sunday entry. Come to think of it, I haven’t read my yahoo e-mail in a week or even posted to the two yahoo groups I still belong to, so maybe I’d better check do that as well.

No comments: