Monday, January 22, 2007

Wind in Las Vegas

4 Sultan 163 B.E. - Monday, January 22, 2007

The last two days have been “Hold onto your hate days!” True the wind hasn’t been quite as bad as the Santa Ana winds, but give it time. We’ve had Santa Ana type winds here in Vegas. One writer from the last century referred to “Reno Zephyrs” of course (I don’t believe) he never got to Southern Nevada to experience the winds here or they would have been called “Las Vegas Zephyrs”.

The word Zephyr doesn’t really describe the winds we get here. When I think of a zephyr I think of a sudden gust of wind that comes out of nowhere and surprises a person by blowing off his or her hat. Lately the winds have been continuous, if not constant. The wind speed is somewhat variable, but the wind continues to blow.

Yesterday I went I went to the Baha’i Center on South Oakey. I didn’t notice the wind too much when I got into the car. However, when I got out of the car, at the center, I almost lost my cap. I was wearing a leather Harley-Davidson baseball type cap. I got out of the car carrying my purse and the bag with the Ruhi study course material (I’m taking book 6). I started to go into the center and the wind almost took my hat right off my head.

OK, maybe I’m excessively attached to the cap. It’s not like the cap cost me anything. It was given to me and not even as a gift. Someone had found it and when they couldn’t find the owner, give it to me because I collect Harley stuff. However, it is a Harley cap with the company logo embroidered on the front. Maybe I am too attached to the cap, although no one has actually offered me money for it, so I guess I don’t know how attached I am to the cap. Oh, well I guess I’ll just have to wonder how attached I am to the cap, because I don’t think anyone’s going to offer me money for it. And I don’t plan on putting the cap on e-bay, at least not for a while. I don’t have a digital camera to take a picture for posting.

No comments: