Thursday, June 08, 2006

Solitary Reflection

4 Nur 163 B.E. – June 7– 8, 2006 A.D.

Every one needs some time for solitary reflection, a place to go off by oneself pray, meditate and read the sacred writings. The spirit needs refreshed everyday, the soul needs fed everyday, and this is what one can accomplish through solitary reflections. Every individual is different when it comes to finding a time, place and a way to meditate. Some do it of a morning and others of an evening. Some write their thoughts in a pen and paper journal, while others type their thoughts into a word processor.

There are certain aspects of solitary reflections time that are common to everyone who practices this form of meditation. There is stillness, tranquility and being alone with one’s thoughts. I suspect part of the problem in the world today is lack of solitary reflection time. It is something one must choose and then find a way to achieve. It is something that needs planning and in many cases a lock on the bedroom door.

A good time for solitary reflection is midnight. Midnight is a time when the household is usually asleep or resting. Midnight is a good time to be alone with oneself and with God. True not everyone can do Midnight Meditations, but the time one chooses is not as important as the action of solitary reflection itself.

I like midnight myself. I like to take my prayer book, my journal and a book of scripture onto the patio. Once on the patio, I say some prayers, usually starting with a prayer of protection. After I say a few prayers, either I set meditating or I begin reading some passages from the sacred book. After I read from the sacred book, I’ve chosen then I write something in my journal. Sometimes I review the day’s activities and sometimes I just set there looking out across the backyard. When I’m finished I say another prayer and then I go to bed.

Solitary reflection shouldn’t take very long. I usually give myself about an hour, but sometimes the session is shorter and sometimes longer. The length of time depends on a number of things. It isn’t how long one takes for solitary reflection that is important, but the act itself. This act connects a person with their soul or spirit and with God. If a person keeps a journal then one can record the affect of the experience and any thing else that occurs during that time alone.

No comments: