Friday, June 23, 2006

The Last day of Light

19 Nur 163 B.E. – June 23, 2006 A.D.

The last day of light, now that sounds like it should be the name of a science fiction or fantasy short story or poem instead of a blog entry. However, today is the nineteenth day of Nur, whose English translation is Light and, since there are only nineteen day in the month of Nur or any other Baha’i month for that matter, technically the title is correct.

OK, I’m in a good mood this morning. I’m feeling optimistic and when I’m feeling optimistic my sense of humor becomes interesting, which also explain the title of today’s blog entry. Anyway, I just came back into the house from backing my car out of the garage. From where I’m sitting I can look into my garage and see all the stuff in there. Yes, I left the garage door open. I left it open because my mother wants to get stuff out today. So from where I’m sitting I can see what’s going on and if she needs help in moving anything out, but my mind and my words wander off the subject.

The month of Nur ends at sunset this evening and the month of Rahmat (Mercy) begins. Tonight after sunset or tomorrow morning or afternoon the Feast of Mercy will take place. When and where the Feast takes place depends on the local community. I’m looking forward, as usual, to attending Feast. This Feast I’m picking out the scripture readings and another person is planning the refreshments. That is one of the beautiful things about Feast; two different families can share in hosting. There are three parts to Feast (1) the spiritual portions, (2) the business portion and (3) the social portion.

Whenever I attend Feast, no matter what feast it is or where, there is always a spiritual feeling to the entire feast. The sacredness of the occasion isn’t confided to just one portion, but is carried over to each one. The atmosphere is set up in the spiritual part of the event through music, reading the writings of Baha’u’llah, the Bab and ‘Abdu’l-Baha, and prayer. I think the thing I like best about attending the Feast is that everyone is always glade to see you, it doesn’t matter if you attend every month, just a few times a year or if you’re a visitor from another part of the country or the world. Everyone at feast is always glad to see you.

No comments: