Friday, March 03, 2017

The End of the Workweek

Istiqlál (Independence), 3 ‘Alá’ (Loftiness), 173 BE - Friday, March 3, 2017 CE about 2:34 PM Pacifice Standard Time 

It's Friday! It's the end of the traditional workweek. I'm not sure what traditional and workweek have in common because as long as I can remember my mother worked weekends. The meant that her  "Monday" usually fell on either Friday or Saturday . She would work either five or six days (depending on whether or not the place she worked at was union) and get one or two days off. I can remember Mom working Saturday through Wednesday or Thursday and getting either Thursday and Friday or just Friday off. 

Mom usually worked the graveyard shift which started at either 10:00 or 11:00 PM and ended at either 7:00 or 8:00 AM.  When we lived in Blackwell she had Grandpa and Grandma to take care of us, but we usually walked to school. We grew up in a time when parents didn't worry about the dangers of children walking to school. Of course, there were other dangers to children besides strangers kidnapping them; however, I'm not going to go into that subject right now. 

As I was writing, before I got distracted with childhood memories, it's the end of the traditional workweek. That phase doesn't mean any more to me today than it did when I was a child. In fact, it very well could mean less. I've achieved a lot in the first three days of March and I will achieve a lot more by simply ignoring the traditional workweek theory. I have a great deal to do this weekend and I intend to do it. Some of the things I procrastinated in February while others I just started working on this week. 

I started some port housekeeping yesterday. I'm reorganizing my writing.com port so that I can have a bit more room. I started the reorganization, but then I became sidetract with writing. I wrote two poems and submitted them to contests. I've decided that the best thing to do is set aside an hour or so for housekeeping before getting sidetracked with something else. That should let me get organized by the end of March. 

No comments: