Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Why I Wrote a Personal Mission Statement

16 Kamal 164 B.E. – August 15, 2007 at 8:42:33 PM PDT

I have to admit that I’ve been a bit lackadaisical in keeping this blog updated. There are many excuses I could use, but I’m not going to use any of them. The reason I’m not using excuses is the title of this blog “A Butterfly Emerges from Her Cocoon”. Everything that has occurred to me in the past eight or nine months, which have prevented me from updating this blog, have taught me something about myself.

In fact, I’ve learned more about myself since December 24, 2006, when I turned 60 then the past 59 years taught me. I’ve learned that I don’t like to procrastinate and that I usually do it out of fear. I’ve learned that I feel guilty if I don’t write, just as I feel guilty if I don’t pray everyday. I’ve learned that if I have to do something I don’t like (such as house work), I have to approach it from a different angle. For some odd reason I can’t wash dishes or mop the floor because it is necessary, I have to find a spiritual approach to the job.

Maybe it’s the mystic in me, I don’t know. What I do know is that I can’t go on the way I’ve been going. True I’ve slowly changed since becoming a Baha’i over 20 years ago, but since December 2006 the urgency to transform and emerge from my cocoon has increased. I’ve found myself questioning why I do or don’t do something. I’m looking at events in my childhood and youth that still effect my actions today.

It’s not that I blame anyone else for the way my life turned out. After a certain age, a person has to take responsibility for her own actions and emotions. It’s just that certain past events in my life determine, or perhaps I should say influence, the way I react today. The problem is I don’t like some of my reactions, so I have to change them. The only way I can see to change the way I react to daily events and disappointments is to take a spiritual approach.

The only way I can see to take a spiritual approach to the events of life is to place my trust in God through His latest messenger Baha’u’llah. Therefore, I’ve written a personal mission statement, which covers nine general goals.

Personal Mission Statement

Goal 1: I live each day worry free by placing my whole trust in God through Baha’u’llah.

Goal 2: I develop spirituality by daily prayer, meditation, scripture reading, and chanting.

Goal 3: I succeed in achieving my goals by turning roadblocks into opportunities.

Goal 4: I gain financial independence by using my talents creatively.

Goal 5: I gain self-knowledge by journaling.

Goal 6: I make each day better than the day before by changing, at least, one thing in my physical environment that makes me uncomfortable.

Goal 7: I make myself a better person by replacing each bad habit with a good habit.

Goal 8: I solve my problems by prayer, meditation and then following my initiation concerning the solution.

Goal 9: I replace my negative self-talk by memorizing an appropriate prayer or verse of scripture.

No comments: