Sunday, June 18, 2017

Happy Father's Day

Happy Father's Day! 
Please take a moment to pray 
For all those fathers and grandfathers 
Who have  passed away.. 

I don't remember much about my father because my parents were divorced when I was young. I remember a tall distinguished looking man wearing khaki work pants and a long sleeved shirt. Daddy, a blue collar laborer, worked at the Blackwell Zink Smelter before my parents divorced. Another think I remember about Daddy was sitting on his lap on Sunday morning while he read to comics to me. 

Happy Father Day! 
Take a few minutes to say 
Thank you to those fathers 
And father figures 
Who are still with us. 

Grandpa Newland, my mother's father, was my father figure. He was around almost all of my growing up years. Grandpa worked at the Blackwell Zink Smelter before he retired. I remember Grandpa sitting at the kitchen table drinking coffee and rolling his own cigarettes. I also remember him showing us, my siblings and myself, how to fish and water ski.  

No comments: