Monday, October 02, 2017

Bedtime Prayer


Now I lay me down to sleep, 
I pray the Lord my soul to keep, 
If I should die before I wake, 
I pray the Lord my soul to take. 

There are two or three different versions of this prayer. The one in this entry is the one I learn when I was a child. I don't know precisely how this version of the prayer affected me. When I say the prayer with my Mother or Grandmother, I never thought much about the meaning of the prayer. The only thing I thought about was the protection it gave me, and the spiritual feeling I had after saying it. 

This was the first prayer I memorized. Mom and Grandma saying it with me helped me memorize it. I don't say this prayer anymore. I say a prayer revealed by Baha'u'llah. It isn't anything like this prayer, but it does giving me spiritual feeling when I say or read it. Sometime I just say one prayer, and other times I read more than one. Most of the time I say or read about three prayers before going to sleep. When I read three prayers, I usually pick a prayer by Baha'u'llah, the Bab, and 'Abdu'l-Baha. 

No comments: