Friday, August 26, 2005

Things That Make Me Happy

7 Asma 162 B.E. August 25-26, 2005 A.D.

A couple of days ago I posted a list of Things That Make Me Happy. I discovered something else this morning that makes me happy. Today we received a newspaper, the first newspaper I have had delivered to the house for over a year. Reading it I found that another thing that makes me happy is reading the comic page and drinking coffee. This brought up a question concerning happiness. The question is - Since happiness is a spiritual attribute and both the comic page and coffee are material things, How can a material thing make one happy? I have thought about this question and I have no answer at this time. This is something I need to explore a little more.

I know why reading the sacred scriptures makes me happy. I can feel the presence of the Holy Spirit when I read the scriptures Baha'u'llah or the Bab have revealed. It is the presence of the Holy Spirit that makes me happy then. However, when I am reading a comic page and drinking a cup of coffee what is it that makes me happy then? Is it that this action reminds me of a happy time in my childhood. My father would hold me on his lap while he drink a cup of coffee and read the comic pages to me. Is this why drinking coffee and reading the comic pages makes me happy? That explanation sounds logical.

No comments: