Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Brain Storming the Rest of My Life

8 Mulk 163 B.E. - Wednesday, February 14, 2007

I’ve graduated with my master’s in Instructional Technology. The question asked, “What am I going to do with it?”, which is an interesting and appropriate question. The problem is that I can’t seem to think about what I’m going to do now. The obvious answer is use it to get a job. Most of the jobs in Las Vegas, with this type of degree, are teaching jobs. It’s not that I don’t want to teach. I think I’d like to teach in college, but high school I’m not too sure about.

I supposed I could go into business for myself, I’m contemplating this. The question comes to mind, How will this degree help me? I’m also not sure about how to go about starting a business. You know, before getting the degree these things didn’t come up. Actually, as much stress and problems I had during the classes, I could focus only on getting the work done and nothing else. Now I can focus on other things and nothing comes to mind.

Right now, a wall of fog lay between any decision I need to make and myself. The things I can see close to me are all limitations and things I need fixed. I need to see a dentist, I need to pay bills (which having a job would help), but I have such a problem with my teeth. I have several missing and should get false teeth. In addition, … I could put a lot of “in additions” here, but I’m not. I don’t see that complaining or listing the negatives are going to help.

The truth is that focusing on the negatives appears to increase them. I’ve thought about this a lot lately. I haven’t always been this way, normally I’m more positive. Perhaps not “Pollyanna”, but I’ve had a positive outlook. The best thing to do, is just take a deep breath, say some prayers for protection and push into the fog bank.

This degree does give me the ability to create online learning and instructional modules. I had to create one for the class. The module I created is the equivalent of a Master’s Thesis. The instructor gave me some suggestions for improvement and there is a lot I would have like to put in the module, but they weren’t called for and would have taken more time than I had for the class. Therefore, I guess the first thing to do is make the changes the instructor suggestion. The next is to create another module with everything in it I want. I will say that I feel more positive this morning than I have in a long time about getting a job or starting a business.

‘Abdu’l-Baha wrote a prayer about placing everything in God’s hands. I thought I memorized the prayer once, but I’ve found, memorized prayers must be said every day or so to remain in you mind. The positive thing about memorizing a prayer a second time is that it’s easier. I think I’ll review that prayer again and see if I have forgotten it or not. It could be that I haven’t been focusing on the prayer itself when I’ve tried to repeat it from memory.

No comments: