Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Midweek Reflections on the Ides of March, St. Patrick's Day and Limericks

‘Idál (Justice), 15 ‘Alá’ (Loftiness), 173 BE - Wednesday, March 15, 2017 CE about 12:15  PM Pacific Daylight Time 

Today is the Ides of March and all that means is that we're half-way through the third month of the Gregorian calendar. In the Roman calendar this day was marked by numerous religious observances and it was the day that Julius Caesar was killed in 44 BC. That seems to be the only thing that makes the Ides of March famous. Since Julius Caesar was warned to beware the Ides of March I suspect there is a lesson in there somewhere. I'm not going to attempt to figure out what the lesson is because I have other, more important, things to think about. 

St. Patrick's Day is on Friday, March 17, and it, like the Ides of March, is based on a religious celebration. St. Patrick's Day is the Feast of St. Patrick, who is the patron saint of Ireland. According to tradition and legend March 17 is the date St. Patrick died. Since I wasn't there in 461 AD when that occurred I just have to accept the story as it is told. 

One of the things about Ireland I like is limericks. I don't know of St., Patrick every told or wrote a limerick, but since he was in Ireland I guess he must have. I'll have to do a bit of research on that. I'll also have to check my poems to see if I ever wrote a limerick about St. Patrick or Ireland. I did write a limerick today, but it has nothing to do with St. Patrick. The limerick I wrote is about spring and summer. 

There was a young woman named Spring,  
Who was in love with a singer called Bing,
  On a bright summer day,
  She caught him with May, 
 Now Bing is unable to sing. 

No comments: